Baltimore’s passing offense looks dominant with a revived Joe Flacco

in Öffentlicher Bereich :) 01.02.2019 02:47
von douhua2233 • 13 Beiträge

Baltimore’s passing offense looks dominant with a revived Joe Flacco and rebuilt receiving corps While Baltimore is known for their running game Eric Weddle Jersey , which produced 117 yards and three touchdowns, and a stout defense, which held the Bills to just three points on the day, the passing offense stole the show from the outset of the game. Joe Flacco seemed to knock off the rust he showed last season against the Bills, going 25-for-34 and throwing for 236 yards and three touchdowns. Finishing with a 121.7 passer rating, Flacco showed signs of returning to his Super Bowl MVP-caliber play. Starting on their own 20 in the first quarter, Flacco threw consecutive strikes to Nick Boyle for a 25-yard and 11-yard gain. After an Alex Lewis holding call set Baltimore back to 2nd and 26, Flacco threw a 29-yard pass to John Brown to dig the Ravens offense out of a hole. After hitting Mark Andrews for another 11-yard first down, Boyle for another a four-yard pass and a Flacco run up the middle for three yards, the series finished with Alex Collins rushing in for the touchdown. With Flacco’s passing as a catalyst, Baltimore ultimately burned 6:18 off the clock on a successful opening drive to give them a 7-0 lead. He consistently progressed downfield and delivered solid passes to his receivers. He climbed the ladder in the pocket and showed more mobility. In addition, Brown’s ability to get open and catch the ball after the play gave Baltimore a new dynamic. Not to be lost in the fray was Boyle’s new and improved route-running ability. Known as a blocking tight end, he showed more quickness and agility in the passing game than in the past. The 25-year old finished with three catches for 40 yards (13.3 yards per reception), all of which came on the first drive.Flacco connected with all three of Baltimore’s free agent receivers for a score in Week 1, and he spoke highly of the new additions. “I feel really good,” Flacco said of his new receivers. “John [Brown] is a different type of player - just with his speed and what he does to defenders and the relationship he gets with those guys. Crabtree [Michael] has a special way of running routes and getting in position and making big catches. Willie [Snead IV] is an easy guy to get on the same page with - from and early point - just because he does everything so much the right way. He’s been in a good passing offense and he just knows where to be. You have to give a lot of credit to those guys.”It began with Baltimore’s third offensive drive. With a first and goal, Flacco dropped in a pass to Maxx Williams for a one-yard gain, before throwing an incomplete pass to Brown over the middle. However, the quarterback-receiver duo made up for it on their next play, with Flacco hitting Brown over the middle for a seven-yard touchdown pass. “They were in zone and I came open in the back,” Brown said of his touchdown catch. “Joe Flacco made a pretty good throw in the back of the endzone.” Touting a 20-0 lead with just 2:48 remaining in the half Cheap Za'Darius Smith Jersey , the offense started with the ball back at Baltimore’s 15. Flacco completed a six-yard pass to Crabtree for his first catch as a Raven and would hit him on the next play for a 20-yard gain to take Baltimore into the two-minute warning. Then with 0:17 seconds remaining, Flacco tossed his second touchdown pass to Crabtree, who tapped danced in the back left portion of the end zone. Though Baltimore failed the two-point conversion attempt, the passing offense was totally in-sync. “[Joe] Flacco threw it up, I came down with it,” Crabtree said postgame. “ Just making a play. It’s football. You’ve got to make a play. It’s something we practice on, getting those feet down, controlling the ball [and] staying in-bounds.”In the third quarter, Flacco hit Boyle for a three-yard touchdown pass, but it was nullified by a pass interference call on Snead IV, putting Baltimore back 10 yards. Snead IV immediately made up for his error, catching a pass and going across the middle for a 13-yard touchdown to put Baltimore up 33-0 with Tucker’s PAT. “Joe [Flacco] wasn’t making me feel too good about that one,” Snead IV said of taking away Boyle’s first career touchdown grab. “I was just trying to do my job and it was just kind of a ticky-tack call, but the next play - I will take advantage of it every time.”Despite being pulled early in the third quarter to give Jackson some reps, Flacco ended up connecting with eight different players. He hit three receivers (Brown, Crabtree and Snead IV), three tight ends (Boyle, Andrews and Williams) and two of his running backs (Allen and Collins).The key word of the day for Baltimore’s passing offense: clinical. The Baltimore Ravens have started to put together a defense without cornerback Jimmy Smith, who practiced Wednesday but won't be eligible to play in a game until October.Smith has been suspended for the first four regular-season games without pay for violating the NFL personal conduct policy. The suspension, announced Tuesday, came "following a long-running and difficult custody dispute" Smith had with his former girlfriend Alex Lewis Jersey , the Ravens said.The 30-year-old Smith will be allowed to participate in all of the Ravens' preseason activities, including games. Come September 9, however, Baltimore will open at home against Buffalo without arguably their best cover cornerback.Fortunately for the Ravens, they're deep at the position. Also, they were forced to make a similar adjustment last season when Smith missed the final month with a torn left Achilles tendon."It's what I've been talking about all training camp. We have a lot of depth," first-year defensive coordinator Don Martindale said Wednesday. "Some guys are just going to have to step up early. We're still working on how we're going to do that."The final solution will probably remain under wraps until the season opener."I'm not going to tell the rest of the league, especially Buffalo, how we're going to it," Martindale said. "We'll just have to see. We've got plenty of players who can play."Tavon Young is listed behind Smith on the depth chart at right cornerback. Young started 11 games in 2016 before missing last season with a knee injury.Before the Ravens considered what to do in Smith's absence, the team discussed whether to bring him back at all.The Ravens were at the center of a domestic dispute in 2014 — one that led to the release of running back Ray Rice — and say they considered the circumstances surrounding Smith's suspension before making a decision about his future with the team.Team officials say a meeting involving "a group of Ravens men and women executives" was convened before the organization determined that Smith could return after his suspension."Jimmy has acknowledged his behaviors were wrong and accepts full responsibility for them," the team said in a statement.Smith apologized for his actions in a separate statement conveyed through the team.After practice Wednesday, the Ravens did not make Smith, coach John Harbaugh or leading players of the defense available to the media.Martindale said: "It's a serious matter. The organization had their statement and Jimmy had his. From the father/coach in me, I know there are mistakes made in life and he's going to have to deal with it."Seeking to end a run of three straight seasons without reaching the playoffs, the Ravens would have preferred to open with their defense fully intact. But playing without Smith is really nothing new — in his previous seven years in the NFL, he's participated in all 16 games only twice.His absence could help fourth-round draft pick Anthony Averett make the cut. Averett, a two-year starter at Alabama, is behind Young on the depth chart.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3136 Themen und 3286 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de