The Carolina Panthers defense has been bad. We touche

in Öffentlicher Bereich :) 05.08.2019 03:15
von panxing18 • 248 Beiträge

d on exactly how bad it’s been in last week’s preview Eric Reid Jersey 2019 , and it didn’t get any better on Sunday. The Cleveland Browns averaged 7.7 yards per play- 9.7 through the air and 5.5 on the ground. They had five plays in which the gained at least 25 yards. The Panthers were gifted two turnovers via poor ball security but were only able to stop the Browns from scoring on three of their other eight drives. The Panthers defense had no answers for the Browns. If the Panthers can’t contain the Browns offense, they probably won’t do well against the Saints. The Browns have been better since they reshuffled the coaching staff, but they’re not the Saints. Drew Brees and company sit seventh in the league in both total yardage and yards per play. They’re second in scoring and fourth in offensive DVOA. They have an MVP candidate at quarterback, and All Pro caliber receiver, and arguably the most dynamic running back duo in the league. There are few, if any weaknesses on this offense. For the Panthers to have any shot on Monday, here’s what they have to do:Capitalize on Saints rushing attempts. The Saints have become one of the more run heavy teams in the league over the last two seasons, but their efficiency on the ground isn’t what it was last year. They’re averaging 4.1 yards per carry, 23rd in the NFL. Their passing game is as efficient as ever Blue Ian Thomas Jersey , so the Panthers best chance to get the Saints in unfavorable down and distance situations is to push the Saints back when they try to force being balanced. At least try to make life difficult for Drew Brees and the receivers. The Saints have had 22 plays go for 30 or more yards, twelfth most in the league. That’s a relatively low number for an offense with stats as gaudy as the Saints’. They pick up consistent smaller chunks instead of going for home runs. The Panthers like giving up smaller chunks. The Saints will happily take those and probably won’t make many unforced mistakes along the way. The Panthers need to force the issue and try to pressure the Saints into a mistake. Tackle Alvin Kamara. This was a huge problem in last season’s meetings between these two teams. In the two regular season meetings, the former Volunteer averaged 8.8 yards per attempt and scored three times on just eleven carries. The Panthers did a better job slowing him down on the ground in the playoffs, and instead let him gain 62 yards receiving on just four catches. Ron Rivera’s defense needs to take the best of both those worlds. The Panthers defense has done little to inspire hope these last few weeks. I don’t know if the Steelers game demoralized them or if it just put together a highlight reel of ways to dismantle this group, but they’ve been unable to contain anybody sense. The Saints have exorcised their road demons and will be looking to make a statement after a pair of dicey performances by their standards. They’ll come out with their hair on fire. It’s tough to see a way the Panthers can make this work, but it’s the NFL, and it’s the Panthers, so anything is possible. This column was started with the intent of highlighting the worst kind of coaching that has haunted Ron Rivera’s tenure with the Carolina Panthers: the aggressively conservative decision making masked as “playing not to lose.” The Panthers’ Week 2 loss to the Falcons actually featured the opposite to that, so today we salute Rivera for making the right decisions — even if they weren’t enough in the end. All we’ve ever asked is that he try.Last year Ian Thomas Jersey 2019 , in a Week 3 loss to the Saints, the Panthers lined up Michael Palardy to punt the ball on a 4th and 5 from the Saints’ 35 yard line. At the time, the Panthers were trailing by 18 points. We started this column this year because I am, apparently, still mad about that play and the similar decisions that Rivera has made in similar situations before and since — in spite of his once-earned reputation as a “riverboat gambler.”The Panthers found themselves in two situations on Sunday where the safe bet would have been on another Palardy punt. Instead, Rivera made the wise choice both times and kept his team competitive in what would turn out to be a close game.On the opening drive, Cam Newton and the offense stalled out. Graham Gano was sent out to kick a field goal on a 4th and 3 from the Falcons’ 36 yard line. Technically, a field goal is the safe call there. A more aggressive coach might have called on the best short yardage back in the league, Newton Womens Brian Burns Jersey , to get those three yards and keep the drive alive. Bet let’s give credit where it is due for clearing the bar set last season: the Panthers didn’t punt. Huzzah.Early in the second quarter, the Panthers were stopped to set up a 4th and 4 from the Falcons’ 33 yard line. This time they went for it and Newton performed his standard magic to convert the first down. This is the much discussed play that saw Damontae Kazee ejected from the game for one of the dirtiest and dumbest hits I’ve ever witnessed. This play also set up the Panthers first touchdown of the game.What was the difference in those two, largely identical downs and distances on essentially the same part of the field? I don’t know. I can’t tell you if there was a consistent decision making process that ended the one drive in a field goal attempt and let the other stay alive for a touchdown. I can tell you that I was happy to see the Panthers consistently not punt in those situations. I don’t know what it is supposed to look like when a turtle comes out of its shell, but I can tell you that kind of naked certainly suited Rivera on Sunday. The Panthers ultimately lost that game by a single touchdown. This week’s post-game analysis would have been decidedly less optimistic without the 10 points they earned by trying to win the game in the first half. Kudos, Ron, and keep it up. I’d love to cancel this column.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3135 Themen und 3285 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen | ©Xobor.de